Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM
The Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM lens is the successor to the incredibly popular 50mm f1.8 II. Extremely compact and lightweight (160g), the lens features an improved optical design and stepping motor (STM) technology. Its wide f/1.8 maximum aperture and standard 50mm focal length makes it ideal for a wide variety of photographic genres, including travel, portraiture, and everyday creative snapshots.
Key Features: Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM
- NEW Improved optical design (spectra lens coating and a 7-blade aperture)
- NEW Super spectra coating to resist flare and ghosting
- NEW STM focusing motor for quick, near silent focusing
- NEW 7 blade aperture giving better bokeh (soft, attractive blur)
- NEW Minimum focus distance of 35cm
- Fantastic lens for portraits, travel, video and everyday snapshots
- A great performer in low-light conditions
- Super-sharp image quality
- Compact ‘go-everywhere’ design
- Compatible with full-frame and APS-C
- For Canon EOS DSLRs
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM
Enjoy new levels of image quality, capturing every moment in extraordinary detail
An affordable, high quality lens that’s perfect for creative portraits and low-light photos. Blur backgrounds to make your subject stand out, and enjoy smooth near-silent STM focusing when shooting movies.
- Blur the background behind your subject to help them stand out – it’s a great look for people pictures.
- Near-silent STM focusing works quickly when shooting photos and more smoothly when capturing video.
- The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lets in lots of light, so you can keep shooting when things get dark – capturing the atmosphere of the occasion.
- As a fixed, non-zooming lens the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM delivers great image quality – enhanced sharpness, more contrast, and less distortion.
- Weighing in at just 160g, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a lens you can always have with you.
A fantastic lens for portraits
The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM blurs the background behind your subject so they really stand out. It will also let you fill the frame without getting uncomfortably close, making it easier to get a natural expression on their face.
When used on a full-frame EOS camera the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM acts as a standard lens, giving a perspective, similar to that of the human eye – ideal for high-quality everyday photography.
Super-sharp image quality
This fixed, non-zooming lens delivers superb images, whether you’re shooting photos or movies. Sharpness is enhanced, contrast is boosted and distortion is reduced for a more natural result.
The glass elements used in the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM are layered with Canon’s bespoke Super Spectra coating, which prevents flare and ghosting when shooting into the light.
A great performer in low-light conditions
The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lets in lots of light, so you can keep shooting even when conditions begin to get dark. Capture the mood of the moment using atmospheric available light – you’ll love the results!
Fast, virtually silent focusing
Near-silent STM technology focuses extremely quickly when shooting still photos, so you can react suddenly to capture fleeting moments. When capturing video focusing is smoother and slower, for footage that has a professional cinematic look to it.
Compact ‘go-everywhere’ design
The diminutive EF 50mm f/1.8 STM weighs just 160g and is only 40mm long, so you’ll always have room for it in your bag. A tactile manual focus ring is easy to find and use without taking the camera away from your eye.
|Angle of view (horzntl, vertl, diagnl)||40º, 27º,46º|
|Lens construction (elements/groups)||6/5|
|No. of diaphragm blades||7|
|Closest focussing distance (m)||0.35|
|Maximum magnification (x)||0.21|
|Filter diameter (mm)||49|
|Max. diameter x length (mm)||69.2 x 39.3|
|Rear cap||Lens Dust Cap E|
|Magnification w/ Extension Tube EF12 II||0.45-0.24|
|Magnification w/ Extension Tube EF25 II||0.74-0.53|